Firework Safety & The 4th
In the blink of an eye, July is upon us, and The 4th is right around the corner. Millions of Americans are looking forward to a day filled with fun- but sometimes fun can be dangerous. Keep reading for some 4th of July facts:
1. Americans will enjoy 150 million hotdogs on the 4th!
2. Fireworks are an American tradition, dating all the way back to 1777.
3. Americans spend more than $1 billion on fireworks each year. Of that $1 billion, only 10% are set off professionally.
1. 2017 reported 8 direct firework-related deaths
2. There are an estimated 12,900 firework-related ER visits each year.
3. Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires each year.
4. Fireworks are common causes of roof and fence fires. A fence fire can spread quickly to a house.
5. Every year, thousands of homeowners have to call fence companies to repair or replace vinyl fences that have melted/wood fences that have caught fire due to firework damage.
How can homeowners enjoy fireworks, but protect themselves and their property?
1. Check that fireworks are legal in your area before purchasing.
2. Never hold fireworks in your hands when igniting. Always shoot fireworks off from a flat, cleared off, non-flammable surface.
3. Light fireworks one at a time, away from people, homes, fence lines, trees, vehicles, or any other flammable structure.
4. Keep a fire extinguisher and a bucket of water close by in case of emergencies. Dunk used fireworks into water before throwing away.
5. Children should NEVER handle fireworks- this includes sparklers. Sparklers are the leading cause of firework-related injuries in children under the age of 5.
6. Only purchase fireworks from reliable and licensed sources.
7. Never use your fence to shoot fireworks. Fences are often made of flammable material (wood) or are susceptible to damage due to high amounts of heat (vinyl)
The Paramount Team would like to wish everyone a fun, safe 4th of July! If your fence experiences any damage this holiday weekend, give us a call. We look forward if given the opportunity, to making you another happy fence customer.